First Aid Awards (FAA) Level 3 Award in Oxygen Therapy Administration Quality Control Framework (QCF)
Who should take this course?
This qualification is suitable for qualified First Aiders, Emergency First Aiders, dental practitioners and dental care professionals, nurses, healthcare professionals and others working in an environment where oxygen is available for casualty welfare.
This training enables users to administer oxygen safely and effectively, for casualties with breathing difficulties. Delegates will learn how and when to administer oxygen to a casualty and the safety concerns with carrying, storing and administering it.
- Learners must be at least 16 years old on the first day of the training.
- Be physically able to perform the relevant actions and techniques included in the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) syllabus.
- Be in attendance for the entire course duration to be eligible for evaluation and qualify for the Oxygen Therapy Administration certificate.
- To benefit from the learning we advise that Learners have a minimum of Level 1 in literacy or numeracy or equivalent.
The Oxygen Therapy Administration course is a classroom-based course of 6 contact hours (excluding breaks).
The course is made up of practical and theoretical sessions delivered by your instructor who will provide a detailed course programme.
At the end of the course, learners will be able to:
- Explain benefits of oxygen therapy
- Identify indications for the use of oxygen
- Explain contraindications prohibiting the use of oxygen
- Explain dangers of using compressed gas
- Outline health and safety rules of the:
– Handling of oxygen
- Carry out operational checks in preparation for use of oxygen therapy equipment
- Identify when oxygen therapy is required
- Administer oxygen using the required flow rate for the following oxygen delivery devices:
– Non re-breather mask
– Bag, valve and mask
- Administer oxygen to a patient in line with agreed ways of working
A range of methods are used to assess the learner, including, practical and questioning (open and multiple-choice).
An A5 Instruct UK – Oxygen Therapy Administration booklet is provided for each learner.
The FAA Level 3 Award in Oxygen Therapy Administration (QCF) is valid for a period of 3 years. To renew the qualification, learners will need to retake the full course. However, it is recommended that during the 3-year period, the learners attend annual refresher courses.