Qualsafe (QA) Level 2 Award in Basic Life Support (BLS) and Safe Use of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) Quality Control Framework (QCF).
Who should take this course?
People with a specific interest or responsibility at work or in voluntary and community activities to provide BLS when dealing with an emergency situation which may involve using an AED.
This course leads to the Basic Life Support (BLS) and Safe Use of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) certificate. The qualification has been designed to provide learners with the skills needed to administer safe, prompt and effective basic life support and use of an AED safely in emergency situations.
- Learners must be at least 16 years old on the first day of the training.
- Be physically able to perform the relevant actions and techniques included in the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) syllabus.
- Be in attendance for the entire course duration to be eligible for evaluation and qualify for the Basic Life Support and Safe Use of an Automated External Defibrillator certificate.
- To benefit from the learning we advise that Learners have a minimum of Level 1 in literacy or numeracy or equivalent.
The BLS and Safe Use of an AED course is a 4-hour course (minimum of 3 hours and 40 minutes and a maximum of 5 hours). The contact hours are exclusive of breaks.
- Chain of survival
- Assessing an incident
- Casualty assessment
- Managing an unresponsive casualty
- Recovery position
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- AED safety considerations
- Using an AED
- Combining AED use with CPR
- Using an AED on a child
- Procedures for when Emergency Services arrive
Learners are required to complete a practical assessment. Practical skills are assessed by continuous observation by the trainer.
An A5 Qualsafe CPR and AED First Aid Made Easy booklet is provided for each learner.
The QA Level 2 Award in Basic Life Support and Safe Use of an Automated External Defibrillator (QCF) is valid for a period of 1 year, within which time the Learner will need to re-take the qualification and assessments in order to remain qualified.