Qualsafe (QA) Level 3 Award in Emergency Paediatric First Aid RQF (Regulations Quality Framework).
Who should take this course?
This one-day course is ideal for:
- Parents and family members who want to learn key paediatric first aid skills
- Those who work with children and are not required to comply with Ofsted’s Childcare Register or EYFS requirements
- Those who want to provide additional support in their organisation to the paediatric first aiders that are trained to meet EYFS or Ofsted Childcare Register requirements
This qualification outlines a range of knowledge and practical skills for providing emergency first aid for people who work with or look after children. Learners will practise assessing and managing an incident and demonstrate how to treat a variety of conditions from life threatening illnesses to minor injuries.
Note: This qualification does not fulfil Ofsted’s first aid requirements for early years teachers, nursery workers and childminders (as defined within the Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage 2014 and within the Child Care Register guide).
Aim of Qualification
Successful candidates will learn the roles and responsibilities of the paediatric first aider, and will be equipped with the necessary skills to administer safe and effective treatment when dealing with a range of paediatric first aid situations.
This one-day course covers:
- Roles & responsibilities of an emergency paediatric first aider
- Assessing an emergency situation
- Dealing with an unresponsive infant or child
- Recovery position
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- How to use an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) and the correct placement of AED pads
- Seizures (includes febrile convulsions)
- External bleeding and minor injuries
- Bites & Stings
- Accident recording
There are no formal entry requirements but in order to benefit from the learning, learners should:
- Possess communication skills sufficient to allow them to address the assessment requirements of the qualification.
- Be physically able to perform the relevant actions and techniques included in the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) syllabus.
- Be in attendance for the entire course duration to be eligible for evaluation and qualify for the Paediatric First Aid certificate.
The Emergency Paediatric First Aid course is a one-day course which can be delivered on non-consecutive days. This is, to include a minimum of 6 hours training and assessment. The contact hours are exclusive of breaks.
Note: If the course is delivered over a period of more than one day, each session must be a minimum of 2 hours, over a maximum period of 4 weeks.
Learners are required to complete both theory and practical assessments. Practical skills are assessed by continuous observation by the trainer and there is a written assessment paper to check understanding.
An A5 Qualsafe Paediatric First Aid Made Easy booklet is provided for each learner.